Self Growth and Self Improvement
Today interest is growing in self growth and self improvement methods. Everyday there are more and more books, classes, seminars and websites dealing with the subject of improving oneself.
People are beginning to understand that it is possible to grow and improve the their lives.
One reason there are so many venues dealing with self improvement is the fact that there are so many possible avenues of improvement.
Self-improvement does not mean the same thing to all people
There are five basic forms of self-improvement .
1. Physical This can be anything from simple weight-loss to plastic surgery We are dealing with our successful appearance to the world.
2. Social Dealing with various aspects of our relationships with others. From attracting a romantic partner to developing successful salesmanship.
3. Financial Improving ones financial position Developing the ability to gain and utilize money and other tokens of material success.
4. Internal Conquering the ego and producing inner changes
5.Spiritual Striving to be truly spiritual, even Christ-like.
All forms of Self-Improvement require inner work.
As we begin a self improvement program, we often meet with inner resistance coming from our old habits and subconscious programming.
If we truly desire improvement, we must build new habits of body and mind. We must be strong and overcome inertia, or the desire to give up.
A simple technique
When I saw certain traits or behavior in other people that I did not like, I carefully and honestly checked to see if I possessed any of them. If I did, I again and again visualized myself acting differently. In my mind, I saw myself acting in a more acceptable manner.
I mentally saw myself in various situations, in which I was expressing the new behavior.
When it came to a behavior of which I approved, I would contemplate its advantages and benefits, and its importance to my success. Again, I used visualization and made an effort to apply them in my daily life.
This process increases the knowledge and understanding about how the mind and thoughts influence the behavior and actions of people.
Simple Techniques for Social Self Growth
1. Look around you and watch how people behave at home, work, and in all public places. You can even learn from TV interviews of people.
2. Watch how people talk and act, and what reactions these produce in others..
3. Pay attention to the way people use their voice and how they react to other people's voices. Watch how you feel and how you react when people shout, or speak softly. Watch what happens when people get angry, restless and upset, and what happens to you and others, when they are calm and relaxed.
4. If you do not like what you see, analyze why you do not like it, and then analyze your own behavior to find out, whether you behave in the same way. Be honest and impartial in your analysis.
5. When you discover that you possess some of these undesirable traits of character and behavior, affirm to yourself often that every time you catch yourself indulging in these traits or behavior, you are going to be aware of them, and do your best to avoid them.
6. Play in your mind a mental scene of how you would like to behave. Repeat it several times a day, every day.
7. When you detect in someone a sort of behavior or character traits you like and desire to possess, try to act in a similar way. Here too, visualize several times each day a scene, where you act and behave in that different way.
8. Think and visualize over and again in your mind how you would like to act and behave. Constantly, remind yourself of the changes you desire to make, and strive to act according to them. Every time that you find yourself acting according to your old habit, remember your decision to change and improve, and act accordingly.
9. Do not be disappointed or frustrated if you do not attain fast results. It does not matter how many times you fail or forget to behave as you desired. Persevere with your efforts and never give up, and you will begin to see how you and your life change.