|Not the first Spiritualist church in Phoenix, but the most active|
Rising Phoenix Spiritualist Church 522 W. Encanto Blvd,in Phoenix, was founded in 1951 by Rev. Edwin W. Ford as Harmony Chapel, a member of the National Spiritualist Association of Churches (NSAC).
Rev. Ford integrated his church long before it was generally accepted. He invited Rev. Nellie Mae Taylor to serve at Harmony Chapel. She was an excellent medium and pastor who just happened to be Black.
In the late 1980’s a representative of NSAC came out from New York and he informed them that they could not display a
picture ofJesus or the Bible. He was shown the door and the church severed its connection with NSAC.
A fire at the Chapel destroyed the building on April 21, 2006. The Chapel reopened in the spring of 2008 at the same location. In 2012, the board approved the tradename, Harmony in Phoenix, to designate the community. While retaining the official corporate name, use of the tradename removed a barrier that some may have to church or church-sounding organizations and opens doors to invite others to our Spiritual Community and Metaphysical Center.
2015 brought with it a time for change and growth. Under the direction of a new board and pastor, Rising Phoenix Spiritualist Church was manifest.